Energy saving at home
By : Antonio -
HOW TO SAVE ELECTRICITY AT HOME.
The first step is to get to know your electricity demand per appliance.
– Make a list of all the appliances and check the electricity demand (Will be in Watt or kWatt)
(Example: Stove 2500 W, Geyser 3000 W, kettle 2000 W, tv 110 W, Light bulb 40 W)
– Second step is to determine how many hours per month are the appliance SWITCHED ON.
– You are now able to calculate your total Wh consumed for the month (Watt X hours). Convert to kWh by dividing by 1000.
– Electricity is usually charged $/kWh, therefore multiply $/kWh with the kWh consumed to get the cost.
– You can also determine the percentage of each appliance to determine the significant users.
– This information will help you to determine your plan on how to reduce electricity cost. (Note each household consumes electricity differently)
Some generic energy saving habits:
- Switch off all lights and appliances you do not need at any particular time day or night; and
- Replace energy intensive lights and appliances with energy efficient alternatives (See video clip below)
However if you have done your electricity consumption analysis correctly you might find that your significant consumption will be by heating up water and cooking food on the stove.
The best way to save more electricity is thus as follows:
– Reduce cooking frequency, by cooking in bulk (Freeze the rest of food)
– Use timers for geyser
– Replace electricity stove with gas, and geyser with solar heater
– Get a recipe book to assist in planning meals